Choosing the right NHS service

If you or your loved ones are feeling unwell, find out which service is best placed to help you.

The NHS is here for you should you suddenly fall ill or get injured. To help you be seen in the right place, at the right time by the right healthcare professional, you need to use the most appropriate service.

To find a GP practice, dentist, pharmacy, optician or hospital in the Leeds area, visit the NHS website. For more information about when to access these services, please see below.

Feeling unwell or have an injury?

NHS 111

If you have an injury or health issue which needs medical attention the same day, but isn’t life-threatening, call 111 or visit the website

It’s free, and they can give you urgent medical advice, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Callers to 111 are put through to a team of highly-skilled call advisers, who are supported by experienced nurses. They use a clinical assessment system and ask questions to assess callers’ needs and determine the most appropriate course of action.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech-impaired you can contact the NHS 111 service using the NGT Relay services.

Urgent Treatment Centres

An urgent treatment centre (UTC) is for anyone who needs to see a healthcare professional urgently but is not in a life-threatening condition.

Use your local UTC if you need same day medical treatment or advice which does not need a visit to A&E. This can include muscle or joint injuries, sprains, cuts, bites, stings and more.

You can walk into your local UTC or call them directly. If you are worried and not sure what to do, you can also visit NHS 111 online at or call 111 for advice.

Where can I find an urgent treatment centre?
There are two urgent treatment centres in Leeds which are both open 8am – 11pm everyday (including bank holidays and Christmas Day):

St George’s Urgent Treatment Centre
St George’s Centre
St George’s Road
LS10 4UZ
You can contact the centre on 0330 311 5106 or just walk in.

Wharfedale Urgent Treatment Centre
Wharfedale Hospital
Newall Carr Road
LS21 2LY
You can contact the centre on 0113 392 1647 or just walk in.

When should I use an urgent treatment centre?
You can use a UTC for minor injuries and illnesses that are urgent but not an emergency. For example:

  • Cuts and grazes
  • Sprains and strains
  • Simple broken bones (if your bone is sticking out or there’s a serious wound then this should be seen at A&E)
  • Simple wounds and wound infections
  • Minor burns and scalds
  • Minor head injuries*
  • Insect and animal bites
  • Minor eye injuries
  • Minor back injuries
  • Emergency contraception
  • Skin infections/rashes/allergic reactions
  • Urine infections
  • Raised temperature/fever

What else is available at a UTC?

  • X-ray facilities are available on site every day until 8pm
  • Urine tests (if appropriate)
  • Minor illness service from 8am – 6pm

Please note: *UTCs do not treat people aged under two years old or those aged over 65 who have had a head injury, or people with pregnancy related health conditions.

Watch this video on urgent treatment centres in Leeds:

Primary care walk-in

Shakespeare Walk-in Centre (Burmantofts Health Centre, Cromwell Mount, Leeds, LS9 7TA) is also open for walk-ins.


Pharmacists are trained medical professionals that can advise you on the best treatment for common heath conditions.

Your local pharmacy can provide expert, confidential advice and treatment, and there is no need for an appointment.

Pharmacies can:

  • Offer advice on treating minor ailments and injuries, including colds, earaches and sore throats
  • Give advice on medication and whether you need to see your GP
  • Help you manage certain long-term conditions
  • Dispense medicine when you give them your prescription
  • Dispense repeat prescriptions without the need to visit your GP
  • Give sexual health and contraception advice

Many common illnesses and injuries can be treated at home. A big part of your recovery from these minor ailments is to rest and drink plenty of fluids. For minor cuts and grazes, cleaning the wound under clean running water and covering with a plaster or gauze and tape, will help prevent infection.

Find out more about pharmacy services in Leeds

Visit your GP practice

Get in touch with your GP practice if you have concerns regarding ongoing conditions, ear discharge / pain, rashes, and stomach aches. If you have any cancer symptoms such as a lump in your breast, changes in bowel habits, blood in your pee or poo, unexplained weight loss, moles that appear to change or cough that you’ve had for three weeks or more.

Initial appointments may be by telephone or by video but face to face appointments are always available for those who need them. Evening and weekend appointments are available too via the extended access service.

Evening and weekend appointments are also available at GP practices. You must book an appointment in advance. To do this, contact your own GP practice.

Find out more about GP services in Leeds

Is it an emergency?

The emergency services, including A&E are for life or limb-threatening serious illness or injury.  Please help other people by avoiding calling 999 or visiting emergency departments unless it really is necessary. This means that we can ensure that people that need emergency care can get it as quickly as possible.

Remember if you have symptoms of coronavirus you must not walk-in to your GP practice, pharmacy or hospital. If you need help in an emergency please tell the 999 call taker if you have coronavirus or symptoms of this, and mention this to paramedics on arrival.

An emergency is a critical or life-threatening condition, such as:

  • Loss of consciousness
  • Heavy blood loss that cannot be stopped
  • Persistent, severe chest pain
  • Head injuries
  • A suspected stroke or heart attack
  • Severe breathing difficulties
  • Severe allergic reactions
  • Severe burns or scalds
  • Suspected broken bones
  • A deep wound, such as a stab wound

If you’re unsure whether or not it’s an emergency, visit or call free NHS 111 Trained advisers will ask about symptoms and advise what to do.

To find your nearest emergency department, visit the NHS website.

Worried your child is ill?

West Yorkshire Healthier Together is a new website developed by local healthcare professionals to help you decide where to find advice or treatment.

Visit for more information

Mental health

Looking after our mental health is just as important as looking after our mental health.. If you need support for your mental health and emotional wellbeing, we have a number of services who are here to support people who are struggling or who are worried about someone.

If you are over 18, visit the MindWell website. MindWell can help you find the right support for you in Leeds. It also has information about different ways you can take care of your mental wellbeing. Their directory gives quick links to a wide range of local and national services, including help for issues like housing and money worries.

If you are under 18, or a parent/carer, visit the MindMate website for advice and information about support for children and young people in Leeds.

Maternity services

Working together, families and services can help all babies get the best start in life. You can make an appointment with a Midwife at your GP surgery, or at your local Children’s Centre.

Other services include:

  • Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit
  • Antenatal Day Unit (ANDU)
  • Specialist clinics: Diabetes; endocrine clinic; bleeding disorders; cardiac; fetal medicine; perinatal mental health; FGM; multiple pregnancy; young parents; birth matters
  • Bereavement midwife
  • Maternity Assessment Centre 24 hours (MAC)
  • Transitional Care Units
  • Infant feeding support/clinics

Find out more about maternity services in Leeds.

For support with your emotional health during pregnancy, and becoming a new parent, visit the MindWell website. Further information is also available on the Baby Buddy app, which all women and families in Leeds can access.

For more information about trying for a baby, pregnancy, labour and birth, visit the NHS website.

Continuing healthcare

You can get continuing healthcare in any setting, including your own home or in a care home, as long as you meet the national criteria. There is more information about continuing healthcare on the national NHS website.

The process involved in NHS continuing healthcare assessments can be complex. An organisation called Beacon gives free independent advice on NHS continuing healthcare. Visit the Beacon website ( or call the free helpline on 0345 548 0300.

There is also a video that can guide you through the process here.

You can contact the continuing healthcare team by calling 0113 221 7600 or email [email protected]

Useful links

  • For more information and advice about which service to use and when, please visit
  • Visit OneYou Leeds for more information about stopping smoking, weight management, and physical activity classes.
  • The NHS health check is for adults in England aged 40-74. It’s designed to spot the early signs of stroke, kidney disease, heart disease, type 2 diabetes or dementia.
  • For advice on eating healthier, visit Change4Life.
  • For information about Diabetes, visit the NHS website or Diabetes UK.
  • Visit the NHS website for guidance on reducing your alcohol intake. Forward Leeds also supports those whose lives have been affected by alcohol or drugs.
  • For sexual health advice, testing and contraception, visit the Leeds Sexual Health website.
  • Visit the NHS website for guidance on vaccinations.
  • Services are available to children and young people with additional needs to support them and their family. Find out more about the Leeds Local Offer.
  • For information about the signs and symptoms of cancer, visit the NHS Be Clear on Cancer page.

© Copyright 2024 Leeds Health and Care Partnership | Lovingly crafted by Mixd